Sunday, July 19, 2009

Raptor Center

Today was my 8th Sunday in a row at The Raptor Center. Something I have noticed is how relaxed and confident I feel while I'm there and after I leave. There is no question in my mind that, at 34, I'm finally on the right path.

I was able to do a couple of new tasks this shift. I got to feed three bald eagles (they eat fish), feed live mice to some hawks, and I also was able to see some tiny little baby Barred Owls. Next week I will get to do some "Rehab 2" duties, such as feed some birds in ICU and maybe grab one of them for a treatment. I'm so excited about grabbing.

One of the Red Shouldered Hawks swooped at me while in the enclosure today. He buzzed right by my head to give me a warning and I stumbled a little to the ground. I didn't leave, because I still needed to clean the enclosure and replace the water, so he came at me again, this time landing right on my back. I was a little freaked out, but after a second (it felt like a minute), he flew back up onto his perch. I can remember a few weeks ago when something like this would have left me really shaken and I would have exited the enclosure immediately and let the staff know I couldn't clean it, but I'm not afraid of the birds as much anymore so it really didn't bother me much. I would prefer not to be dive-bombed by hawks though.

Next week I'm going to try to bring my camera to take some good pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment