Friday, September 4, 2009

Birthday Lunch at The Palm

Since both of us were off today, I treated Jason to lunch at The Palm in honor of his birthday this weekend. I had been there once before, when my boss took me for my birthday, but Jason had never been. It was such a treat for both of us: the fine dining service, excellent food and the luxury of leisurely eating a meal together that neither of us had to prepare nor clean up afterwards.

He had the Business Man's Lunch (Funny! Does that come with a side of scotch?) which consisted of a soup or salad, entree, side and dessert. He chose the lobster bisque, twin filet mignon, onion strings and key lime pie. Since I eat much smaller meals, and not much meat, I had the lobster bisque and salad. And two glasses of white wine. The bisque was rich and delicious, and I could have drank a quart of it. The salad was very green with lots of different kinds of lettuce and a vinaigrette made with high quality olive oil. What a beautiful feeling, to be eating a wonderful meal with the person I love while drinking wine on a weekday afternoon. Bliss.

Tonight we're going to relax and starting packing for our trip to the mountains. I stopped by the library today and picked up a bunch of books and dvds, including:

Six Months in Sudan (looks absolutely riveting)
Prefabulous (I'm currently a tad obsessed with prefab construction)
Magic Books and Paper Toys (I'm a sucker for a craft book)
A documentary DVD on Wright homes (non-fiction DVDs can be kept for 2 weeks!)
A documentary DVD by National Geographic on the wilderness of Alaska (I heart the library)

The cabin may or may not have internet service, which frightens me a little because I'm such a current events junkie, so we are going to need some reading material and movies to watch in case there's no cable. Ordinarily I wouldn't worry so much about books and movies, but the skies opened and poured rain on us every single day of the last two trips we have taken, so I'm going to be prepared. A reminder: ten days in Nova Scotia, poured rain every single day. Never even left the room. Six days in Myrtle Beach: poured rain every single day. Came back less tan than I arrived. There's only a 30% chance of rain this Sunday, so I'm hoping we're safe. Please, God, don't make it rain. Please, please, don't make it rain.

We're taking the camera so there should be lots of pictures to share when we get back. I'm also taking some school work with me since I have tests next week. So far I have a B in Chemistry, an A in Statistics and an A in Geography. That B in Chem and A in Stats is tentative though. Extremely tentative. I will be happy to have a B in each at the end of the semester.

Happy weekend people!



1 comment:

  1. I will try to take the rain with me toward the coast. :) Wish you were coming with us but I know you'll have a blast in the mtns celebrating J's bday. Lunch sounded fab. I haven't been out to eat at a nice place in ages (okay, maybe a month) - but it's a special treat for sure.
    Jon is also obsessed with prefab homes - he wants to build us one for the next time we move.

    ReplyDelete