Sunday, September 13, 2009

My newest obsession - the modern home




I want to live in a very modern, 1200 square foot home with concrete floors in the mountains. Something like the dwelling pictured above, but larger. It won't need A/C because I can do without it in the mountain air. It will feature the following:

one kitchen, with IKEA cabinetry
1.5 baths, one with a large walk-in shower, maybe a small Japanese soaking tub
lots of windows
metal exterior in dark brown or dark red
interior walls covered in drywall
back deck
wood stove for heat
ceiling fans
two bedrooms
one big, open kitchen and living area

The modern prefab homes we have found cost between $115 and $180/square foot, and that's not including the land and in some cases, foundation. Basically it's totally out of our price range.

While visiting Boone last weekend, I found a place that I loved. It was an art gallery and I was ready to move in. This is it:


It's a metal building that has been upfitted with drywall, concrete floors, and nice windows and doors. It's exactly what I want, minus the kitchen and bathrooms. I wish I would have taken some shots of the interior.
So I have started to do some research and I think we could build one on a piece of land for as little as $70,000. I'm going to call the gallery today to see if they can offer any input. I'm more than willing to put in a ton of sweat equity to be able to live in a place like this. I'm just not sure where to start: do I look for land first? Find a manufacturer of metal buildings? Try to come up with a floorplan? Look for financing? Research building codes? It's way out of my scope of expertise. I know how to estimate the cost, for the most part, from my insurance adjuster days. But I've only estimated repair and not new construction. As an example, I have no idea what a foundation costs, or what it costs to run plumbing. And for that matter, I have seen some lots advertise that site work is in place. Does this mean the site has plumbing already and it just needs to be run to the house? What if the site doesn't have site work? How much is it to perform? Geesh, does anybody know anything about any of this?

1 comment:

  1. this is where you bribe my husband with dinner and then bombard him with questions all night. i'm pretty sure he could answer them all.
    he's into modern pre-fab housing right now as well and that's what he wants to build next. maybe you could hire him! we could live in our camper while he's building it!

    ReplyDelete