Friday, November 20, 2009

Bateleur on the Lam

Today I was off from work and received an urgent email from CRC about a Bateleur Eagle who had escaped last night. Search parties were being arranged and they needed any and all available volunteers. So I went up and walked around in the woods for a couple of hours, looking for her. As I was walking around, by myself in the woods, keeping my eyes peeled, I kept thinking about what a cool job that would be, walking around looking for a bird.

I didn't find her, so I came home and worked on my kitchens some more. Then I just got an email saying she had been found, but she is in no hurry to go into the net that will take her home. It's going to be a long night at CRC; I think Jason and I are going to go up to take a shift watching her. Cross your fingers she is brought back; she will not make it in the wild by herself because she is heavily imprinted by humans and it's too cold here for her. She's native to Africa and her enclosure is heated in the winter here. She won't stand a chance in the cold. Cross your fingers now. Seriously, cross them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment