Sunday, August 16, 2009

Almost Forgotten

I just realized yesterday was my ex-husband's birthday. This will sound harsh to anyone who doesn't know the story, and it's a very long story I don't feel like going into right now, but I'm hoping one day to wipe him clean from my memory. I look forward to the day when I can't remember what he looked like. He was an evil person who I never should have married in the first place.

I'm glad I had such a great day yesterday, on his birthday, in the mountains. He would not have liked Blowing Rock; not gourmet enough and too rural, although the food was delicious and scenery beautiful. We never would have sat in the park, taking pictures, like Jason and I did, and we never would have gone just for the day: we would have been in a five star hotel. We probably would have checked into a hotel, gone to dinner, he would get drunk, then he would get his evil-drunk-face on and berate me until he passed out. I would cry myself to sleep.

But that didn't happen on his birthday this year. Instead I had a fabulous day, with my incredibly wonderful boyfriend, in a beautiful new town we explored for a few hours. I even enjoyed the four hour drive up the mountain and back. Then nobody got drunk last night, nobody fought and nobody cried. This morning I woke up, grocery shopped, kissed my sweet Jason good morning and then went to The Raptor Center, a place the ex-husband would 100% not understand. I love my "new life".




1 comment:

  1. sometimes I think we have to go through all the shit so that we can appreciate the small & good things in life. glad you had a good time in blowing rock - it's a fun city, but i agree with you about the stuck up tourists. And good luck to wiping mr. ex from your memory!

    ReplyDelete