Sunday, August 2, 2009

I Heart The Raptor Center

I worked a late shift at CRC today, from 2-9pm. Just got home and I'm tired and sweaty yet grinning because I learned lots of new stuff. Bullet points because I'm tired:

grabbed a red tailed hawk who was paralyzed and held him while he was fed and given medication

learned how to give fluids subcutaneously

learned that OS is the left eye, OD is the right and OU is both

helped to grab a Barn Owl who was screaming like a banshee

I can't believe how loud Barn Owls can screech

cleaned empty cages, which means lots of birds were released this week :)

got a permanent name tag, to replace my disposable one

grabbed a baby hawk and held her while she was fed and given meds

held a red tailed hawk while it was fed and given meds

Cleaned cages and checked on the Osprey with an amputated wing. He's hanging in there!

high-fived myself when I learned I didn't have to go into the enclosure containing the hawk who wants to scratch my eyes out.


I wish I could go back to CRC tomorrow instead of to work. I'm putting in an extra shift Tuesday after work and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. do you care that i found your blog? i hope not. anyway - i always loved your writing style. this is how we first met, remember? so, my comment - you sound so HAPPY in all your posts. it makes me smile to read about your days at the RC and prepping for school. Glad you discovered your dream and are following it!!

    ReplyDelete