Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Accessories for the camper

After running errands this morning (dentist!), I had about an hour to kill before going to work. Naturally, I went to a couple of thrift stores to find vintage stuff for the new camper. The cool thing about finding items from the 1970s to use is that they are cheap! I bought a goldenrod colored pitcher, the kind you make your Kool-aid in, for 95 cents; four very dark brown coffee cups for 25 cents each; blackout fabric to make the new interior curtains out of for $25; an older but perfectly good set of steak knives and cooking knives for $5.

I really wanted to use Corelle dishes in the Butterfly Gold pattern or Woodland Brown pattern, but they're a little more than I wanted to spend. I like the Corelle because it's lightweight, easy to clean and nearly indestructible. I also love that it reminds me of eating meals at my grandma's house. We may have to make do with whatever I find and work on collecting a set.

I also bought a couple of "definitely from the 70s" towels, very soft from lots of washings, in orange, yellow and brown. They were a quarter each. How can you not love shopping at thrift stores? I mean, candy out of the kids vending machines at the grocery store is more than a quarter. We're going to use linens we already own for the bed, and ditto for bath towels. It doesn't have a shower but we will only be staying at campgrounds with hot showers, thankyouverymuch.

We pick the camper up this Sunday, and I'm sure I will spend every moment the remainder of the day cleaning and fawning over it. And taking pictures, of course.

I'm hoping once it's road ready that we can invite some friends to meet us at some park somewhere for a "camper warming". Seems like a fun way to get some people together.


No comments:

Post a Comment