Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Update from a fairly balanced life

I just realized I haven't posted about the Raptor Center in a while. The kitchens kind of took over, but I am still volunteering at the center every other Sunday. I have gotten very proficient at grabbing the birds for their treatments, and I'm starting to learn how to give sub Q (subcutaneous) fluids, force feed and give meds PO (orally). Last time I was there I got to show a newer staff member who had never grabbed a vulture how to do it. It was cool to know that I have progressed enough to show other people how to do tasks.

I'm getting a little bored though, and I'm looking for another place to volunteer, more specifically at a farm. I really like animals like goats, cows, chickens and sheep. I'm not sure why because I've never been around them other than at a petting zoo, but they really interest me. A friend referred me to an equine vet and I'm going to call her today to see if she knows of anything available. I'm not really into horses but I would take some time to learn more about them if given the chance. Truth is they scare me a little. Not as much as ostriches do though. Shudder, ostriches.

No comments:

Post a Comment