Sunday, October 18, 2009

Meant to be!


I think we have found a camper. It's a 1977 Starcraft Stardust Swinger. I love it. It's big, when it's folded out, it's a price we can afford, and it's in good condition. The exterior looks good and the interior is avocado green. Jason is not thrilled with the avocado but I love the retro nature of it.

It probably needs new tires because it's been sitting for a while, and needs a good cleaning, but there's no water damage or mildew and the guy selling it is a good, honest fellow. He reminded me of my grandpa. It also could use some new curtains inside. They would be easy to sew and the hardware is all intact. The existing ones are a little stained and sad looking. I would find some neat fabric and make new ones, as soon as the budget allowed.

The unit appears to be hardly used, even though it's over 30 years old. The foam cushions are in great shape and don't need any work, along with the foam mattresses. We may upgrade the foam on the beds when our budget allows--foam is really expensive. The linoleum floor also looks original and is intact and in great condition. I would love to keep it as original as possible. The two-burner gas stove and sink are inside but swing out, so that cooking can be done outside. Hence the name. The trailer is wired and has 110 volt outlets, has a propane tank for cooking and a tank for water. There's no toilet or shower but neither was on my wish list. Basically it's the camper I have been looking for.

In the picture below, we flipped both mattresses over to make sure there wasn't any water damage on the fold out parts. The mattresses are covered in the same fabric as the benches. The dining table pops right out of the floor and stores away.

I know I'm going to be dreaming of this thing until it's sitting in our garage.


4 comments:

  1. pretty cool! are you allowed to have campers in your driveway with your HOA? I would just clear that before you bought anything. This looks pretty cool though. My aunt & uncle had a pop-up camper growing up and it was so awesome! They slept 6 kids in theirs, so it must be an efficient use of space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason we're getting a pop up is that we can put it in our garage. A hard-sided camper like a "canned ham" would not fit. Our HOA doesn't allow RVs in driveways. It's supposed to sleep six and I can imagine four people sleeping comfortably so you and Jon are welcome to rough it any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun! i love that it is called "swinger"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! It cracks me up. A little history--Starcraft started calling them "Swing-Outs" because of the connotation the word "swinger" got in the late 70's. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete